./iPhone

Enable MMS on unlocked iPhones

FlashGen.Com IconI like a lot of people have an unlocked iphone (not to be confused with a Jail broken one). So on installing the 3.0 update MMS was immediately available but I suspect, like me, for most it won’t actually be active (no little camera icon in Messages is an indicator if it’s working or not). If this is the case all you need to do is enter your MMS settings (a quick Google should provide you with the correct info – UK users can grab them here) via the steps below.

Access Point Name: general.t-mobile.uk
Username: user
Password: one2one
Authentication: Normal
Data bearer: GPRS
Gateway IP (proxy) address: 149.254.211.10 (also 149.254.201.135)
Session mode: Permanent
MMS Message (Relay) Server URL: http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002/

1. Go to Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network
  2. Scroll down to the MMS settings and enter the correct information, my T-Mobile settings are shown in the image. Don’t worry if you don’t have info for Max Message size or MMS UA Prof URL – these are usually handled by the carrier so you can leave them blank
  3. Once the details are in place you need to exit Settings and restart your phone (this is the important bit as the phone won’t pick up the settings have changed unless you restart)
  4. If everything is OK on restart you’ll have a little camera icon next to your message input field in Messages (plus you’ll now have an option to send images etc by MMS)

It’s worth pointing out that if you have an unlocked iPhone you don’t need to do any of the ipcc file hacking that a lot of the “beta” articles seemed to indicate. The MMS option should be alreay present and just need configuring. If you’re with an official carrier like AT&T or O2 etc the process may be completely different as it seems to require hacking the ipcc file to set certain values so your mileage may vary.

Popularity: 36% [?]

Related Items

Creative Commons License
Enable MMS on unlocked iPhones by .: Blog.FlashGen.Com :: Mike Jones - Technologist :., unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.

Discussion

73 comments for “Enable MMS on unlocked iPhones”

1. Thanks so much for this – have a genuine SIM-free iPhone from Italy and have been searching for this all day!
    I’m on Three UK and have put the settings in but it doesn’t seem to work….get a red exclamation next to the picture after a lengthy ‘Sending’ wait. Do you know where I could get accurate settings for Three UK?

Posted by Andy M | June 18, 2009, 12:27
  2. Solved!
    For anyone else looking to do this the settings are:

Cellular Data
    APN: three.co.uk

MMS
    APN: three.co.uk
    MMSC http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy: mms.three.co.uk:8799

Now to find out how to enable Tethering!

Posted by Andy M | June 18, 2009, 12:50
  3. Hi Andy. Mine is from Italy too. Glad this quick article was of use. I had the red exclamation mark a couple of times. Seems the iPhone isn’t as ‘robust’ when it comes to sending 3G data if the signal is weak too so you may see it on odd occassions, as this is the new ‘failed to send’ icon instead of the silly white bar and ERROR we are all used to from 2.x.

Posted by Mike Jones | June 18, 2009, 13:57
  4. @Andy Cool, good to know you got it working :D You can read up on tethering here: http://richardlai.xanga.com/704930537/enable-tethering-on-iphone-30—too-easy-worldwide-carriers/ and here: http://www.flashcomguru.com/index.cfm/2009/6/18/iphone3g-enable-bluetooth-tethering.

The one thing I noticed was that when I synced my phone with iTunes it removed the settings – still exploring getting it working. Will update when I work it out :p

Posted by Mike Jones | June 18, 2009, 13:59
  5. Thanks for sharing:

All working now on t-mobile UK

Settings used (not so clear in the picture )

APN: general.t-mobile.uk
    User: user
    password: one2one
    MMSC: http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002
    MMS PROXY: 149.254.201.135:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: [BLANK]
    MMS UA PROF URL: [BLANK]

Don’t forget to restart after inputting the settings. (hold down power button)
    I confirm that i can send and recieve messages.

SCAR

Posted by Scar | June 18, 2009, 14:49
  6. @Mike Thanks for the help. Got my tethering working using the excellent generator at http://tetherme.lstoll.net/ .However am getting exactly the same problem as you – after connecting to iTunes, the Tethering option disappears – though I’m left with a ‘Cellular Data’ section in my Network settings on the iPhone. Let me know if you find a solution!

Posted by Andy M | June 19, 2009, 13:19
  7. I have two factory unlocked phones from Italy using T-mobile USA. I notice that when I send picture messages from the resolution of the image is made smaller. Is there any way to prevent this.

Posted by Vinodh R. | June 19, 2009, 20:48
  8. can anyone give me the tmobile settings for the u.s.

Posted by ab | June 21, 2009, 19:48
  9. Ah, good man. Been looking around the net and trying to figure out how to enable MMS on 3.0. Haven’t updated my iPhone to 3.0 yet, so I didn’t know about that MMS menu. Oh, and for those people wondering what the T-Mobile U.S. MMS settings are….

APN: wap.voicestream.com
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050
    User: *blank*
    Password: *blank*

Everything else is left blank.

Posted by Raymond | June 23, 2009, 08:02
  10. Hey, i have a iphone 3g 3.0 jailbroken and unlocked to t-mobile. I was wondering if any of yall have a configuration for the united states…. I tried the one thats on this website but i get a red exclamation point. Please let me have the setting for the usa one please… Thanks

Posted by Raul | June 23, 2009, 21:15
  11. @Andy, I got the tethering to stick but not sure if it was because I just applied the profile again correctly or the fact that I tethered the phone via BT and then performed a sync while it was still tethered. Either way it is still showing the settings so all is looking good :D

Posted by Mike Jones | June 23, 2009, 21:25
  12. @SCAR thanks for posting the T-Mobile UK settings (I agree my image is a bit small and blurry :p)

Posted by Mike Jones | June 23, 2009, 21:27
  13. hi there, tried the t-mobile setting for mms but it does not work… I just get a red exclamation mark beside the picture. Any help?

Posted by Craig | June 24, 2009, 13:55
  14. Hi Craig, are you using the UK or US settings?

I had trouble sending images that I had copied and pasted in to Messages from my pictures folder (I’m on T-Mobile UK) – I suspect they have a max file size set on the server. Try sending an image that you have attached via the Messages “Choose Existing” option – I noticed that pasting an image leaves it as a PNG. However attaching it via the Messages “Choose Existing” option converts it to a JPG so I assume there is some internal compression going on. Let me know how you get on :)

HTH
    m

Posted by Mike Jones | June 24, 2009, 15:38
  15. how can mms work with tmobile united states

Posted by abrar | June 27, 2009, 03:33
  16. for US users..
    APN epc.tmobile.com
    MMSC http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy 216.155.165.50:8080

I just tried it and it works fine

Posted by Moe | June 27, 2009, 08:48
  17. I’ve tried both US settings for iphone 3g and neither one of the work I am geting the same as craig a red exclamation mark next to pic. I am attaching the picture from shots I took with the phone. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to get the mms to work on this phone.
    thnx

Posted by Jes | July 1, 2009, 05:26
  18. I have a world wide unlocked iphone 3g I’ve been using on tmobile, I updated to 3.0. I use the .ipcc file and the teathering works great. I can’t get the mms working, I’ve tried different proxy settings etc, anyone get it to work for tmobile usa?

Thanks

Posted by Rene Rencontre | July 1, 2009, 11:48
  19. It seems a lot of US T-Mobile users are having issues. I’m based in the UK (on T-Mobile) and haven’t really had any problems. If I find any more info on T-Mobile MMS settings for the US I’ll post them up.

Posted by Mike Jones | July 1, 2009, 12:21
  20. for tmobile users the mmsc is 216.155.174.84/mms the mms proxy is 216.155.165.50:8080 the apn is the same as the others try it works good

Posted by d | July 2, 2009, 01:43
  21. how about for ATT, will it work?

Posted by sheryl | July 5, 2009, 20:30
  22. Thanx alot for the tips on mms don’t know how long if been trying to get it work. With your help I finally got it

Posted by jose camarena | July 5, 2009, 21:59
  23. Hi, thanks a lot for the tip, it was really useful!

Posted by Adnana Amour | July 15, 2009, 08:00
  24. T-Mobile US settings listed here work great. Thanks for the help.

Posted by Jonny | July 20, 2009, 16:34
  25. hi my iphone wount work it saves the code but i keep on getting the red thingi i can get picture but no receive help me please im begging

Posted by victor | July 28, 2009, 05:21
  26. well i called the US tmobile rep. and he told me what to put in.. BUT it seems i can receive the mms but i, myself, cannot send anything out… i too get the red exclamation point :/

Posted by vanessa | July 28, 2009, 17:21
  27. Hi, been looking to put mms on my unlocked iphone(t-mobile)for 3 days.
    No help from apple or T-mob,or even the phone unlocking shops.
    Got on this site and followed scars instructions and tadah!!
    excellentFollow his instructions:-
    APN: general.t-mobile.uk
    User: user
    password: one2one
    MMSC: http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002
    MMS PROXY: 149.254.201.135:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: [BLANK]
    MMS UA PROF URL: [BLANK]

Don’t forget to restart after inputting the settings. (hold down power button)
    I confirm that i can send and recieve messages.
    Works a treat.
    Good luck.

Posted by Andy Liverpool | July 31, 2009, 20:08
  28. I have tried the UK T-mobile settings to the letter and rebooted but I too get the red exclamation mark. Also, since upgrading to 3.0.1 on jailbroken phone I cant access any of my apps anymore even new ones. Any help?

Posted by Sharon | August 9, 2009, 18:55
  29. I have also noticed that my APN, username and password dont stay in after the reboot – the fields become blank again.

Posted by Sharon | August 9, 2009, 19:03
  30. help me i try but i only can receive i can send it can someone please help

Posted by tommy | August 12, 2009, 18:15
  31. Hi and thanks for your advice.
    I have put in the settings you suggest, I can see the camera next to the message input field but only these settings stick

MMSC: http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002
    MMS PROXY: 149.254.201.135:8080

I cannot get

APN: general.t-mobile.uk
    User: user
    password: one2one

to stick.

I am exiting Settings and then I restart but still….

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Posted by Roberto Cacciaglia | August 30, 2009, 19:13
  32. Hi, any idea what the settings are for O2 pay monthly?

Thanks.

Posted by Tom Ward | September 15, 2009, 19:34
  33. I have tried every mms setting for t mobile on here… What am I doing wrong? Is there any thing else I can try
    please help!! I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted by Stay c | October 11, 2009, 18:45
  34. [...] ********** أما بالنسبة لمشكلتي حصلت هذا الموضوع Enable MMS on unlocked iPhones | .: Blog.FlashGen.Com :: Mike Jones – Flash Platform Consultant :. وطبقته والاعدادت حصلتها في أحد المواقع .. على الشكل [...]

Posted by سؤال تفعيل ال mms فالايفون 3gs - ماك ارابيا، mac، ماكنتوش، ابل | October 14, 2009, 13:56
  35. I got the mms to work, and I can send the mms.. but i cant recieve them.. let me clarify.. i am in the US.. using an iphone 3g 3.1.2 firmware…. and i got the mms enabled with the EPC apn.. and I am able to send messages correctly, but when messages are sent to me it says the media content was not included due to a picture resolution or message size restriction.. any help would be appreciated

Posted by Keith | November 6, 2009, 06:19
  36. Hi Keith, it sounds like your provider doesn’t sets the MMS size automatically – you may need to set it yourself in the MMS Max Message Size property in your MMS settings. Alternatively just give them a call and ask them for their MMS settings to make sure the settings you have are indeed correct – If that fails you may find them via Google.

Of course worst case is your provider may need to enable MMS support on your account for you to receive them.

Sorry I can’t be of more help :)

Posted by Mike Jones | November 6, 2009, 07:50
  37. Hi I am on the 3 network in the uk I have tried the above info but I still get the exclimation mark. I havent put in a user name or password is this where Im going wrong?
    Help me Obi Wan your my only help

Mart

Posted by Mart | November 7, 2009, 00:15
  38. Just started with that stupid message of media cant be received for some reason or other.

Just up you “MMS Max Message Size” to 24,000,000

Posted by Robertguero | November 7, 2009, 08:26
  39. HI thanks to Andy M
    i got my MMS enabled
    thanks again

Posted by shizy | November 25, 2009, 17:40
  40. Thank you very much Andy M!!!! Mine finally worked on 3!!!
    Mart>>> Make sure you’ve got it all correct and switch off your phone and switch it back on. Try that ;)

Posted by DaVampy | December 13, 2009, 21:26
  41. hi how can i do it for my phone mine is unlocked but i still have a no contract plan for at&t how would i do it then?

Posted by orestes | December 15, 2009, 02:39
  42. Hi Orestes, MMS settings are carrier specific so until you have a contract with AT&T or another carrier you can’t really configure the phone. Once you do sort out a plan, you should be able to add in the carrier specific MMS settings as per the article (some carriers even do it automatically for you via an ipcc file). That said not all carriers allow MMS to be configured by the end-user – as some charge extra for these types of services so your mileage may vary.

I don’t know what AT&T’s process is so I can’t comment of how, or if, you can configure your iPhone once you’ve sorted out your contract (or if all AT&T contracts include MMS), that said I’m sure a quick Google will provide the answer. :)

Posted by Mike Jones | December 15, 2009, 08:34
  43. I have an iPhone 3g unlocked on tmobile and i followed the instructions for the united states one and it allows me to send pictures but not recieve , what do I do?

Posted by Cory | December 20, 2009, 23:43
  44. hi mike, i just got an iPhone on t-mobile in the UK and they say the password for mms is different to what you have said…i tried what they told me and both my internet and mms are not working as i’m apparently “not subscribed to a cellular data service” can you help?

Posted by alex | December 21, 2009, 13:28
  45. Wat do I do?

Posted by Cory | December 21, 2009, 15:14
  46. Now it saysVThe media content was not included due to a picture resolution or message size restriction. Wat do I do?

Posted by Cory | December 21, 2009, 16:46
  47. Hi Cory, I’m not sure how to get it to receive MMS in the US as it might be carrier controlled. Here in the UK the system is automatic as long as your carrier has enabled MMS support on your account – i.e. you generally don’t pay extra for the service you just need it activated.

The picture res / message size issue is down to the fact that the images being sent / recieved are generally “too big” for the MMS service. If you look a the MMS settings you’ll see you can set size restrictions etc, again over here in the UK it is usually done in the background so doesn’t generally need to be set. In your case you may have to put a value in those fields – have a google for T-Mobile US MMS settings (I found these details for XDAs on T-Mobile US which should be the same, although the property names may be slightly different on your iPhone – http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-274193.html)

Posted by Mike Jones | December 22, 2009, 09:22
  48. Hi Alex, the settings are correct for contract phones (and as far as I am aware they are the same for PAYG). You don’t need a data package, but you will need them to enable MMS (which may include 3G / GPRS support too) for your number. Internet has nothing to do with it – I think they’re just trying to get you to sign up for extra stuff you don’t need.

GIve them a ring back – phone T-Mobile directly, don’t go in to one of their shops as they are generally franchises – and ask to have MMS enabled on your number, once they say it is working (a quick click of a screen ;p) ask them for the relevant service details (I’d be surprised if they were that much different if at all), feel free to tell them you have an iPhone – I did and the customer support agent was very helpful. MMs activation can take a few hours so don’t expect it to work immediately.

Bear in mind that they don’t have the exact settings for an iPhone as they don’t sell them so you may have to either write the info down or attempt to enter it as they are giving you it – or just use the info here as I’m sure it will be the same. I got them to give me the MMS settings based on an N95, as I used to have one, but the phone manual they use is pretty irrelevant to be honest as the general settings are the same regardless of what phone you have.

I hope you getting it sorted :D

Posted by Mike Jones | December 22, 2009, 09:31
  49. scar you are a legend thanks for taking time to pose, mms works a treat on tmob uk. wanted this to work for ages. Not recieved any pics yet will it do that too?

Posted by kalel | January 8, 2010, 21:15
  50. I have an iPhone 3G unlocked on T-mobile of U.S. I can send a pic text on MMS and English text. Now, I want to use international Language on MMS. I can type Japanese but I can’t receive and send them. What do I need??

MMS setting
    APN: wap.voicestream.com

MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050

International keyboards chooses English & Japanese.

Posted by @sushi | January 18, 2010, 16:24
  51. Sushi, I now have the camera icon, but when I send a picture it shows this red mark, error, what should I do

Posted by Danny | January 27, 2010, 16:51
  52. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have an unlocked Iphone and been trying to work this out and now it works.

Top man

Many thanks

Posted by Dan | February 12, 2010, 18:27
  53. Hi all, I’m using an unlocked iphone 3gs for tmobile and dont have picture text msg as default (even tho I had it before with my old samsung phone provided by tmobile). then I tried both US MMS settings they posted on here:

APN: wap.voicestream.com
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050

and

APN epc.tmobile.com
    MMSC http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy 216.155.165.50:8080

both worked for sending pictures out, but not receiving them. I got the msg “the media content was not included due to a picture resolution or message size restriction” for both cases when my friend tried to send me picture text messaging. I also check out the xda phone link that Mike provided but it didnt work with iphone either. any resolution yet?

Posted by Tigger | March 7, 2010, 22:04
  54. Has anyone figured out what Tigger asked? This is the same problem I am having. Thanks!

Posted by Kim | March 16, 2010, 00:33
  55. The FIX to send & RECEIVE!!!

This is how to do it. My phone spec is 3g 16gig 3.0 firmware jailbroken with Tmobile WITHOUT data plan.

1. Open Cydia and search for “Legacy” – Install the first one on top. (TMobile US)
    2. Once installed you’ll need to reset your network settings. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Confirm
    3. Now go to Settings > General > Network > and make sure Data Roaming is set to ‘On’
    4. Now go to Cellular Data Network > and enter the following:
    5. APN: epc.tmobile.com for MMS This SHOULD be wap.voicestream.com
    6. APN: wap.voicestream.com for Cellular Data
    7. MMSC: 216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
    8. Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080
    9. Go all the way back to Settings and then press Home.
    10. Turn off the phone.
    11. Wait for the phone to completely power off, wait 30 seconds and then power back on.
    12. If your phone crashes and you get the Sad Phone Face, it’s fine, unlock the phone and reset the Springboard if need be.
    13. Now have someone send you a Picture Message and make sure you can send out MMS.

PLEASE NOTE! ~ Follow it step by step. I started without installing the application and it displayed the same message to big message. Followed the instructions precisely and up and running. Sister w/ verizon sent me a picture message.

Here’s the link I got it from after scouring the internet for a while:

Enjoy!!!!!

Posted by Jaren Briggs | March 17, 2010, 05:27
  56. Also, my Data roaming is set to off now and it still works.

Posted by Jaren Briggs | March 17, 2010, 05:29
  57. hey scar thanks so much your help really did work for me!! :)
    But I have a question, my carrier is T-Mobile and I have unlimited texting, now that I can send and recieve pics will it overcharge me?

Posted by Loryn | March 18, 2010, 21:22
  58. actually my question was for jaren about the MMS..if it does cost money or not.
    and yours actually worked for me thank you SO MUCH!! :D

Posted by Loryn | March 18, 2010, 21:55
  59. EXCELLENT !!! many thanks to Jaren, it works now woohoo. just follow the instructions step by step and it works perfectly, no crashing or anything for me. good jod, great help :-)

Posted by Tigger | March 25, 2010, 06:23
  60. @ Loryn

Texting is either MMS or regular, so you’re covered. If you didn’t have a texting plan, the 20cents per would apply to either your regular plan or flex account

Posted by Jaren Briggs | April 6, 2010, 18:40
  61. For MY Celcom (Celcom Malaysia) especially 3G user,
    APN: celcom3g
    User:
    password:
    MMSC: http://mms.celcom.com.my:8080
    MMS PROXY: 10.128.1.242:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: [BLANK]
    MMS UA PROF URL: [BLANK]

Confirmed work on i-phone 3G.

Posted by Norfaisal Ismail | August 19, 2010, 06:42
  62. i have an ipone 3g 4.0.2 unlocked for tmobile. and i did both the us setting for it but i still get the red exclamation marks when i send. can someone help me

Posted by phillip | September 1, 2010, 17:59
  63. I opened cydia and when i searched for legacy, no t-mobile us came up for me to install. And i still cant receive pics due to the resolution and message size. This is really irritating. Can anyone help me? I have an IPhone 3G and T-mobile is my carrier

Posted by D'Andre | December 8, 2010, 00:23
  64. Thanks, Dude! It’s matching the setting info from the carrier company to the settings on the iPhone that I really need clarifying. Much appreciated.

Posted by Tony | January 11, 2011, 00:43
  65. awesome it worked @ MOE i am a tmobile US iphone 3gs user. i just need help with receiving picture

Posted by janet | February 9, 2011, 17:48
  66. need help i cant send pics on my unlock i phone please help i keep getting a red exclamation

Posted by israel | April 8, 2011, 01:07
  67. Hello!!

I have an unlocked Iphone 3Gs and recently udpate the software to 4.3.3 and now I am not able to send or received picture messages. I have set the setting as prior for the APN and MMSC but still not working. Does anyone have any solutions?

Posted by Ivette | May 11, 2011, 18:50
  68. I have same problem, unable to send or receive pictures., please update me with solution..

Posted by ahmad | July 17, 2011, 11:46
  69. Hey!! Thanks man was doing everything available on the net, but nothing worked. Thanks for such a simple solution which actually works. Thanks again.
    Ricky

Posted by Ricky | August 22, 2011, 15:49
  70. hey thanks!… this worked perfectly for my US iphone!

Posted by Dashia | October 25, 2011, 18:37
  71. Can anyone help – I bought unlocked I phone 4 from Dubai – allegedly phone from Malaysia but all visible settings are chinese. Put T Mobile sim in phone in Dubai and it worked fine using their network DU – received and made calls and received and sent texts. Now I am back in UK nothing working. Profiles show china mobile – SIM accepted and shows T-Mobile UK. No-one here knows what to do – phone is not locked. It looks like the phone is not registering with T-Mobile – any idea what profiles I should enter into phone if any to make it work? Any help would be appreciated?

Posted by marlyn | November 15, 2011, 14:41
  72. Thanks Moe, it worked…so happy.

Posted by Tavia | February 6, 2012, 19:09
  73. Thanks. I can send pictures now. The Imessage feuture dind’t work in my iphone 3gs with the upgratte to 5. Do you now how fix it?

Posted by rfundora | February 20, 2012, 15:57