As most are aware Flex Builder is built upon the eclipse IDE. Now for those that use the Flex Builder plugin for eclipse as opposed to the standalone the following will not be a huge surprise, but it may highlight elements that you hadn’t thought about to improve or extend your workflow.
What do I mean, well I’m talking about additional plugins to make your Flex 2 workflow just that little bit easier. To give you an idea of what I mean here are the additional tools and plugins I have installed within Flex Builder to streamline my own workflow. Firstly we have entire development environments (perspectives)
- OxygenXML – Very handy if you are doing a lot of XML based data solutions
- PHPeclipse / PDT – I’ve recently started looking at PDT as a replacement. Well have to wait and see if one is a clear winner.
- CFEclipse – I personally do very little Coldfusion, but if asked I have the tools to sort it out :)
These are the some of the additional plugins that I tend to use solely as views within one or more perspectives:
- subclipse – Some hate this plugin. Personally I find it very useful. Especially as OS X doesn’t have a decent TortoiseSVN like Finder plugin* Ant (you will need to install the eclipse Java Development Tools to get this one in the Standalone version of Flex Builder)
- JCraft SFTP viewer (this utilizes the WebDAV and FTP eclipse plugins). Great for remote file management – package includes JSsh and JTerm if you need them.
- Site Explorer – Again this is part of the WebDAV and FTP tools providing remote file management through common web protocols.
- QuickRex – A Regular Expression Builder and common Regexes to speed up your development
- Multi Clipboard – Pretty much does what it says. Handy clipboard manager within eclipse