./Development

Flex Builder 3 Obesity

This made me laugh this morning. I decided to do a side by side comparison of Flex Builder 3 standalone and Flex Builder 3 plugin (I use the plugin as my day-to-day). However this post isn’t about my findings. It’s about the fact that when you go to download FB3 from the Adobe site it gives you two options as you can see in the image below.

Picture 2.png

Now this doesn’t seem odd, except if, like me you are on a Mac, then the download is actually 393MB not 169MB. I haven’t tested it on a PC, but I suspect that on Windows it isn’t 169MB either. OK, so it isn’t a big deal, but come on guys, there are a few people in this world who would like to use Flex and don’t have a T1. So if it is a large file download how about actually getting the size right before the user starts to download it. If it then takes a dogs age at least they are prepared for it. :P

Discussion

6 comments for “Flex Builder 3 Obesity”

1. 424 MB for windows:)

Posted by igor0k | February 27, 2008, 11:59
  2. Windows explorer says 435 172 KB

Posted by Oivind | February 27, 2008, 13:37
  3. I haven’t yet downloaded it, but that kinda scares me. I really hope that Adobe didn’t decide to add all the same crap that they did for their creative suite on Flash for Flex. That was nothing but a pain in the ass to install AND it loads tons of unnecessary crap onto the computer.

I was really pissed when Adobe decided they knew best how to have me install their software. Let’s hope the outcry of my fellow developers about the Flash CS3 b.s. has opened their eyes a bit.

Posted by jwopitz | February 27, 2008, 13:54
  4. yep…i agree too, i got quite surprized when the download window displayed 435 MB… hope the fun worth the extra MBs

Posted by Francesco Bongiovanni | February 27, 2008, 14:01
  5. We’re aware of the problem and its being fixed. The correct download sizes have been posted in this thread.

Unfortunately we don’t have the ability to push changes (even small ones like this) to the site live when we want to (ie. right away). We have to wait for a new build of the website for these changes to go live.

Mike

Posted by Mike Potter | February 27, 2008, 15:12
  6. @Mike Thanks for the update, I assumed it was probably an oversight as it is very rare to find a Windows and Mac version of an app where the downloads are both exactly the same size :)

Posted by FlashGen | February 27, 2008, 16:29